Wednesday, February 18, 2009

At Home

Weeelll,
We made it down. I received a call a week from yesterday that the Internet would be up and running in a few days here at the beach. Now we're talkin'!! Our weeks of living amongst boxes and just the bear essentials were coming to a close. We kicked it up into high gear, now packing away the semi-essential things and still maintaining our work schedule.
Our landlord finally came through with the moving truck and scheduled the move for 8:30am Saturday. Well, we received this piece of news on Friday evening. I also had to schedule a last minute cleaning of the beach house, etc, etc, etc. (Although this shouldn't be difficult to accomplish, I can't begin to tell you how many calls this one simple task entailed.)
The movers show up on time in an open air truck, very tall sides, old, and dirty. I looked on the inside, and it was full of planty-looking things and LOTS of dirt. I gently suggested that they clean it out as I grabbed the nearest broom. Ends up, the truck had just returned from Nuevo Leon and had been carrying chile peppers.
The move was pretty smooth and no real casualties except that several plants were somehow squashed, my chiminea was chipped and scratched, our equipale furniture was all scratched up, and the fridge was scratched and dinged. I consider it very successful considering that nothing was tied down, cushioned, or covered. Total cost, about $300 US.
Of course, we had the computer and other valuables packed in our van and arrived first. The drive from Colima to the beach can be pretty scary the first few times, and you are descending 1500 feet and must go through some mountain passes, a couple bridges, and serious curves. We encountered the policia in at least three locations, one of which a car had gone over the cliff. ( No guardrails folks. ) Also, our newest member of the family, Ratzo, was sitting on Bob's lap as I drove. She threw up on Bob a few times. More about Ratzo in future post.
All in all we're happy to be here and are sore from lifting stuff up and down the stairs. It's a yummy kind of sore, and I've actually slept better than I have in six months.

Not all has been smooth sailing. Details in my next post, "WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE HAVE NO WATER????"
Bye, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment