Thursday, February 26, 2009

Ratzo

My darling baby, Freddy, passed the Friday after Thanksgiving, 11/28/08. We made the decision to let him rest as he had fought a long, hard battle with Cushings Syndrome. It was gut-wrenching to see him getting worse everyday, and there is no cure for this ugly disease. The tumor in his pituitary gland would eventually compromise his system and send him into convulsions. He never reached that point, but he required almost 24/7 care, and I spent countless sleepless nights as his condition worsened.


I knew he was ready on Thanksgiving Day. We were on the bed watching TV, and I turned to look at him. I knew he was staring at me. We stared at each other for a few minutes. He then started to cry and tremble. I wrapped his favorite red fleece blanket around him, but he could not be comforted. This lasted for several minutes, which in the end, I became frantic and sobbing. I knew then and there, at that moment, Freddy was letting me know that he was ready, and it was time.
I can't go any further with the Freddy saga. I cannot type with tearful eyes.
SO ANYWAY-
On 12/11, we take the plunge and go to the Dog Pound and pick out two dogs. Snickers- a golden lab mix who eventually we gave another to a family, and Ratzo- no one knows what she is. Snickers was too pretty not to be adopted and poor Ratzo was the opposite in every way.
Ratzo was malnourished, recently delivered puppies, was scrawny and smelly, hairless on the bottom half of her body, bony bald elbows complete with a big, long, gray rat tail. She hunched up as she walked, was very skittish, always flipping over on her back when approached; she was obviously abused and still carries the numerous emotional and physical scars. ( It sickens me. I'll just say that the bastard who inflicted such pain on this poor animal should be tied up around the neck for a long time, like he did her and shit-kicked, like he did her.) Enough of that...I don't want to start my morning with bummer thoughts.
Now, just 2 1/2 months later, she seems more relaxed, happy in her new digs, and has gotten plumpish. She still cowers a bit and flips over on her back often when she becomes nervous. We love her and try to let her know she is safe now.
I have submitted photos of Ratty-Roo for your viewing pleasure...

This is Ratzo on 12/12. Check out her teats.


Here's pretty, sweet, gentle Snickers on 12/12.


Ratzo on 12/30, Still bald in the elbows, but growing hair.


Here's Ratty yesterday during our morning beach walk.

House update: We're still experiencing some plumbing problems, but for the most part we believe the water issue is now under control. It's amazing how much time and effort we've put into this house that we're only renting. Bob and I have also discussed cleaning up the empty lot next door. It's become a bit of a dumping ground, and I see evidence that the painters who were working here also contributed to the mess. I'll need to find my hiking boots, and thank God I brought from the US these heavy-duty thick red leather work gloves, just in case nasty critters call the lot "home". (Curious... I'm wondering just why I brought down those gloves? With all the massive amounts of stuff we gave away, why did I feel those ugly and too-big for me gloves merited a coveted space in our Windstar???) Go figure.
Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment