Thursday, March 5, 2009

Carnaval, Cuyutlan Style






Big doin's last weekend here for Carnaval. Set up started on Friday, and the party lasted through Sunday. Bob and I ventured out around 6pm on Saturday. We wanted to catch the parade and then the big dance after. Well, the parade got off to a late start, and unfortunately, I am still learning how to use my camera, so my night shots did not turn out too good. All I can say is the town was really crowded, and everyone was partying and having a great time.









This photo was taken 20 minutes before the start of the parade. The crowd was still "thin."

This pretty girl is one the the beauty queens. There were several. (I told you my night shots were sucky.) I think the real favorites were the Corona Beer Girls. They were on the back of a truck, dance music blaring, and these two youngs ladies were really shakin' it. The crowd let out a huge cheer when a male fan jumped into the truck face first with the two dancing queens.


Then Bob and I ended up meeting with Carlos at his Mom's seafood stand. Lucky for us, we were right by the stage where the band would perform later, and Carlos even set up some seats for us. He also hooked me up with a Michelada. This is a curious beverage. It's tomato juice mixed with beer instead of vodka, no celery but chile powder. (I do love a good Bloody Mary, especially my Dad's. ) This may be an acquired taste. I'll stick to an ice cold Pacifico.










This is the Michelada Man. I'm told he has a very successful restaurant in Cd. Colima. He was set up just a few feet away from us. Sometime later in the night, he also put out a banner advertising that he also sells cell phone cards. This guy was super nice, and had a couple of dance moves himself.





Well, the band finally started up. Real show pleasers!! The crowd was dancing, the music was really tight, but by 11:30pm, we called it a night. We live only four blocks from the Malecon and heard the party going strong until early morning.


My thoughts really: Yeah, it was fun. It's cool to see so many people letting go, young and old together enjoying the music, fireworks, etc. My favorite part of any outing is people-watching. Anytime, anywhere. (I'm "inquisitive" according to my beloved 8th grade English teacher, Mrs Stultz. Bob will tell you I'm just nosey.)


Well, off for my morning walk. It's humid this am, so I need to get moving. Bye, for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment