Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Invasion of the Campers



By Tuesday 4/7, we had some serious new arrivals in town. Eventually, the entire beach for as far as we could see would be jammed packed with campers. This is just to the east of the terraza looking towards town.




This is the beach just to the east of the house. The little building was being dolled up to provide banos,(restrooms). Ratzo and I strolled in there just before our PV trip. What a mess it was. This family built their own little brown wood home and worked day and night . They even rigged up electricity. Pretty amazing.


Then early Wednesday morning about 4:45 am, I'm blown out of bed by some awful noise. I walk out to the terraza and spot several buses parking along the road just in front of the house, to the side of the house, up the next half block from the house, and vacationers pouring out. They were an excited and noisy bunch unloading supplies, tents, food, etc. I just kinda sat there watching this all remembering back to my Spring Breaks in Daytona Beach and
thinking what all those retirees must have thought about a bunch of crazy, drunken teenagers invading their quiet hamlet for weeks at a time.


Well, I run hot and cold all the time, and by Thursday afternoon, my rose-colored glasses came off, and I'd had it with all the noise. It was continuous and started at first light and lasted until dark. The biggest offenders were the loud-speaker vendors: the bread man,(three different ones); the mattress man; the fish man; the circus promotions man; the tamale girls; the ice cream man and a few others I'm sure I've forgotten. I had to shut myself in the office with all the windows closed to work, and I could still hear the ruckus. AND THE BUSES AND PEOPLE KEPT COMING.
The evenings were filled with loud music assaulting us from from various locations. Friday night, I was awake at 3am, and music was still blaring from somewhere near the malecon.
Here's an idea at what our street looked like on Thursday afternoon. You can see on the bottom left our light blue & white balcony which comes off our bedroom.

Look at who else decided to join the festivities... This was taken right outside the front gate. She hung around all Thursday afternoon.

There is an end to all this, though it was hard to imagine by Saturday morning, all bleary-eyed and in a rockin' bad mood. That's later...

No comments:

Post a Comment