Saturday, April 4, 2009

Puerto Vallarta Part 1



We left for PV early Sat, 3/21. I prefer to drive as the time seems to pass more quickly- and it did, although it took us almost 6 hours as we got stuck behind a military transport hummer and a bus. For the most part, it's an easy drive on a two lane road, lots of curves and up and downs so it's not real easy to pass the person in front unless you have a straight shot. We voted for arriving in one piece. Once we got into PV, we drove in circles looking for the hotel. After some sniping at each other, Bob jumped into a cab and I followed. We were probably three blocks away.



We stayed across from Dad and Wanda at Dona Susana, an all-adult boutique hotel. It was lovely, quiet, and had a great roof-top pool. Our room was rather small and the bathroom, teeny-tiny. Yet it worked for us, and the best part was it had a kick-ass air-conditioner. My best sleeps are in chilly temperatures; Bob not so much. He thought it felt below zero. My thinking is you can always pile on more blankets, there's only so much you can take off. (My husband is so good to me.)



We spent lazy days on the beach. One of us would head down early am and scope out the perfect spot to plant our chairs and umbrellas. The added bonus to being the early birds is the empanada man starts cruising the beach at 8:30 am. We would snack on big flaky pastries filled with spinach/cheese, chicken/potato, ham/cheese, apple, apple/cheese, chocolate and many others. We're serious about our empanadas, and he knew it as he'd hit us again around mid-day.
We met a mother and daughter duo from Minnesota, I think. Yvette and Stephanie were a constant source of entertainment, especially daughter, Steph. This girl is in her early thirties, totally uninhibited, really lives each moment to the max. What you see is what you get with Stephanie, no game-playing, just pure going for the gusto, and a not a mean bone in her body.
(How nice it must be to feel so free and be so honest. I'd like a little bit of that myself.)




We had some great food. My favorite outing was to Marazul for dinner. It's a big, upscale palapa-style restaurant just a block down the beach. Boy!! the food was fabulous, and the service was impeccable. I don't know how Dad and Wanda do it. They always find that one fabulous restaurant where the Manager comes out to talk with us, and sends us complimentary desserts and drinks, and where the service staff treats us like VIPs. We had a table overlooking the ocean, and I caught a picture of this sunset.




Dad and I also ordered each a Herradura Anejo after dinner. Check out this presentation. The tequila is sitting in the chilled round bowl, accompanied by a sangrita, salt, limes and a jalapeno. It was smooth. This was not the rot-gut stuff you slam with a beer chaser. Excellent choice, Dad.






We headed out Tuesday morning. I always get real sentimental when I have to say goodbye to D&W. The drive home was quiet and quick.


Also--I had a lot on my mind, primarily Ratzo and her surgery. We wouldn't see her until Wednesday late afternoon.
That's next post.
Thanks for another excellent vacation Dad and Wanda. We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment