Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Pelamis Platurus

Also known as the yellow-bellied sea snake, these critters have been washing up on the beach the past couple of days. Luly and I spotted four yesterday and two today. The locals say that they are a month late in arriving and are beaching to die. I am also told that a bite from one of these babies will make you sick with fever for several days, and a fatal bite is rare. They're quite beautiful, and this photo does not truly capture the vibrant yellow of this serpent. Let's see...hum...well, I've been fearful of the water since my encounter with a manta ray last summer. Then we had an invasion of jellyfish just recently, and now we have snakes. Will I ever enjoy boogie-boarding again?
Here's a real digustus maximus that we found at the water's edge just about a month ago. Look at the size of this gross creepy-crawlie!! Is it any wonder I had a nightmare two nights ago of giant flying spiders?
Today, the girls are going to Sam's Club, Appleby's for lunch, and then to do some major sniffin' around Liverpool which is actually Zentralia, a very nice mall. It's so nice to have a group of girlfriends. It just makes living here that much more special.
Later.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the first time I saw one of those snakes. I was told that a bite was very dangerous; you could get verrry sick. As for that other creature, what is it? A spider? I am glad you and the spousal unit are learning to play Mexican dominoes; we'll expect YOU at next season's ladies' nights on Wednesdays. Stay cool; I know it gets hot, humid and buggy during the summer. That's why we're not there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fevered Brain,
    That ugly creature is a mammoth water bug, I think. I'll be at Ladies' Nights with bells on.

    ReplyDelete